Cauliflower rice always remains on the list of people who follow a healthy eating lifestyle. Plus, making cauliflower rice is no biggie as anyone can prepare the dish in a short time. It will hardly take you 15-20 minutes even if you’re making the dish for the first time. Cooking time significantly reduces if you use the food processor to make cauliflower rice. The same process will complete within 10 minutes if you use a food processor. But not to worry as you can also make cauliflower rice without a food processor.
There are three main methods to make cauliflower rice without using a food processor. Take a look at these methods mentioned below to find which one suits you the most.
Grate: Grating cauliflower head is one popular method among all. For that, you’ll need a handy grater that is easily available tool in any kitchen. Simply cut the cauliflower head into medium size wedges and they’re ready for grating. The results of a manual grating of the ingredient are very much similar to that of a food processor. Thus, you’ll get rich, grainy texture that will make a perfect dish.
Chop: Grab the large kitchen knife and begin by cutting away stem from cauliflower head. Further, cut the head into small florets and finely chop them. While it is difficult to achieve fine, grainy texture using a kitchen knife, it is a method that requires a daily use tool(knife) only. Also, chopping cauliflower florets is a bit time-consuming.
Blend: Not enough time to grate or chop? Then you can always make cauliflower rice with a blender. Blender is a common kitchen appliance that is used for various purposes. However, you need to take care of one thing before throwing florets into your blender. The size of florets should be under 2.5 inches. And turn on the blender to its highest speed setting and keep the machine on till you see the grainy texture.
So now that you know different ways of making cauliflower rice without a food processor, let us now begin with delicious and healthy recipes.
- Medium size cauliflower head(serves 4)
- Salt & pepper
- A tablespoon of oil or butter
- Skillet for cooking
- Muslin cloth/tissue paper(optional)
- Vegetables of your choice(optional)
- Obtain a small/grainy texture of cauliflower by whichever method you find most convenient mentioned above.
- If you feel your small florets are too soggy then you can remove excess moisture by using either muslin cloth or tissue paper. In the case of muslin cloth, you need to put all the florets right in the center and gently twist cloth till water falls off. This water is full of nutrients and is perfect to add in other recipes.
- While in case of tissue paper, spread the mixture evenly on top and lay over another tissue over it. Gently press the tissue above to remove moisture.
- Now begins the cooking. Grab your favorite skillet and add a tbsp of oil/butter. Let the oil/butter heat for about 15 seconds on high flame.
- Add your favorite veggies(carrots, beetroot, onion, string beans, etc) with the flame on high. Saute for 20-30 seconds till the vegetables are bit soft.
- This is the perfect time to add the raw cauliflower rice to the vegetable mixture. After adding the rice, again saute all the ingredients for a while and then lower the flame. Cover the skillet with a lid and let the ingredients cook for 5-7 minutes or till they become tender.
- Now comes time to add salt and pepper to the mixture. You can also put soy sauce or squeeze lemon juice for taste if you like. Stir and allow the mixture to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Your healthy, nutritious and delicious homemade cauliflower rice is ready to serve.
Here is a video tutorial that will help in understanding the recipes in a much easier way.
Can you Freeze Riced Cauliflower?
Yes of course. If you think you’ve riced out too much quantity of cauliflower then instead of throwing rest away, store it. You can also rice out the vegetable in your free time to use in the near future. And let us tell you that storing process of this ingredient is a breeze.
It is as easy as cooking it.
Follow the below steps to properly freeze and use riced cauliflower for later use.
- Firstly, you need to cut away stem from cauliflower head and cut the head into small florets.
- Then throw these florets into a food processor and start pulsating them until they look grainy.
- Grate, blend or chop florets into small pieces if you do not have a food processor.
- Now its time to transfer the riced veggie into Ziploc bag. Use a good quality, food-grade Ziploc and your homemade riced cauliflower will keep up good for up to 1-2 months.
Tip: Instead of adding all florets of the large head at once into the food processor, work in batches to avoid chunks.
Note: Always freeze uncooked cauliflower rice.