Love cooking at home? Then you might need a good quality cutting board that is both safe and stable. And what can be better than a walnut wood cutting board? Walnut wood is hard, heavy and semi-porous. It is not too hard to dull your sharp knife nor too porous to decay or rot easily. Therefore, which makes walnut wood one of the best wood for cutting boards.
A thick walnut wood chopping board can last for a lifetime if taken proper care. It needs oiling just like any other semi-porous wooden furniture. Simply apply oil or conditioner on butcher block maintains the fresh new look as well as resists decay.
The appearance of walnut wood is another good reason to use it as a chopping board. It is naturally dark and beautiful which can also be used as a serving tray. Besides, it looks less dirty and hides cut marks of the knife better than a light-colored wood cutting board. Beautiful to look and easy to maintain let us help you find the best walnut wood cutting board for your kitchen.
Best Walnut Cutting and Chopping Board for Kitchen
|Virginia Boys Kitchens Board||18"x24"||1 Inch|
|John Boos WAL-R03||20"X15"||1.5 Inch|
|Virginia Boys Kitchens (Round)||13.5 Inch||0.75 Inch|
|John Boos Block WAL-B12S||12"x12"||1.5 Inch|
|VGK Walnut Chopping Board||10"X16"||0.80 Inch|
Here are our top 5 choices of walnut cutting boards to chop your vegetable and meat.
1) Extra Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board by Virginia Boys Kitchens – 18×24 – Best Carving Countertop Block with Juice Drip Groove
The excellent craftsmanship of Virginia Boys Kitchen’s large walnut wood cutting board is worth every single penny. Measuring 18×24, this rectangular board gives you ample of space to chop ingredients freely. You no longer need to empty the surface area by transferring chopped veggies into separate bowls as you can keep them aside on the board itself. Thus, it saves time and bowls.
Soft, straight walnut end grains protect the sharpness of the blade for a long period. Whereas, on the other side rich dark brown shade of the unit makes it a perfect serving tray. Reverse the unit and use the surface for setting cheese, charcuterie, and appetizers. You can also keep a large pizza over it and still there is space for dips and sauce.
If you’re buying the wooden cutting board for the first time then this product is the right choice. It comes pre-seasoned with a proprietary blend of 100% all-natural fractioned coconut oil. This oil keeps prevents drying of walnut wood as well as makes it ready to use right after unboxing.
- Large wok surface lets you chop and dice a good quantity of ingredients at once
- Made in the USA from sustainable black walnut wood
- Expertly carved juice groove around the edge catch runaway liquids
- Reverse it and the black walnut cutting board converts into a beautiful serving tray
- Knife-friendly cutting surface prevent sharpness of the blade
- Backed by 100% money-bak guarantee
- Crafted professionally for a long-lasting use
- Some areas especially of juice groove are rough and need sanding before use
2) John Boos WAL-R03 – Best Walnut Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board, 20x15x1.5 Inches
If you seek work area of chopping board all clean and smooth then John Boos WAL-R03 is for you. Instead of the brand name or logo on the side or bottom of the work surface, John Boos’s reversible cutting board offers a clean work surface. And such a clean design does not catch runny liquids or hold bacteria. Plus, they are easy to clean and maintain.
The thick 1.5-inch rectangular cutting board features edge grain construction. This sleek edge grain construction results in a modern linear grain pattern with distinct growth rings. This, in turn, will not dull out your sharp blade in a short time. It also protects the work surface from ugly cut marks of the sharp knife. Therefore, the unit will keep looking new for years.
To transfer chopped ingredients right into the pan or cooker, John Boos WAL-R03 features integrated handle grips. These handles on sides ease lifting, moving and cleaning of the board extremely easy. So its time to upgrade your oil unit with this walnut wood cutting board.
- Made from sustainably harvested North American hardwoods
- Integrated handle on sides let you lift and serve food items comfortably
- Both sides of the walnut butcher block can be used as a cutting surface
- Smooth and beautiful edge grain construction
- No carving of the brand name on the work surface
- Perfectly thick walnut wood keeps the unit from moving or sliding while chopping
- Offers one year manufacturer’s warranty against defects in workmanship and material
- No juice groove
- Need to oil regularly in dry climates
3) Round Wood Cutting Board by Virginia Boys Kitchens – 13.5 Inch Round American Walnut with Juice Drip Groove
Multiple uses of wooden cutting boards make them famous among buyers. You do not need to have different serving trays or plates if you have the right size and material block. And this round wood cutting board by Virginia Boys Kitchens is an all-rounder. Credit goes the round shape of the unit that makes it an ideal charcuterie board, serving platter, and chopping board.
The 13.5-inch diameter of the round walnut cutting board gives you ample space to chop, slice, shred, or dice ingredients smoothly. Whereas, high-precision drip grove around the circle prevents liquid from spreading onto the countertop. And a mess-free countertop means no need to clean or wipe the area after chopping.
Non-porous, straight grains of black walnut wood is knife-friendly. You’ll not feel the need to sharpen your knife after a few uses. Made from nonendangered black walnut wood, the material is kiln dried and carefully smoothened before the final finish. This ensures easy cleaning and low maintenance.
- The perfectly round shape of the walnut wood board makes it suitable for multiple uses
- Use it for presenting charcuterie cheese platters, bread, pizza, sushi, etc
- Safe from harmful bacteria
- Best round walnut wood cutting board under $50
- Made in the USA from the finest quality of American black walnut wood
- Ideal for chopping juicy vegetables as deep groove around the edge keeps liquid on board
- Backed by a 100% money-back guarantee
- Need to buy seasoning oil or finishing wax as the unit arrives raw, unseasoned
4) John Boos Block WAL-B12S – Best Walnut Wood Edge Grain Cutting Board with Feet (12″ Square, 1.5″ Thick)
A thin wooden board moves a lot while chopping if there are no rubber felt pads on the bottom. Also, it is a bit uncomfortable to chop ingredients on a thin board as you need to apply more pressure. But now you can throw away your old thin unit and replace it with John Boos cutting board. This walnut wood block features four ‘bun’ feet which lift the cutting board off the counter and tabletops. As a result, you get a good angle for quick and comfortable chopping.
Deep brown hue walnut wood compliments various kitchen styles. It darkens with the time that enhances the look of the product. On the other hand, a smooth work surface is ideal for chopping, dicing, mincing, and more. And the edge grain construction is designed to meet the durability.
Dry climates tend to crack walnut wood slowly. And to prevent cracks and dull surfaces, apply oil regularly all over the unit including feet. Doing so will enhance its appearance and prevent decay no matter how dry or humid the climate is. Thus, simple care is enough for long-lasting performance.
- This square cutting board with feet lifts the cutting surface off the countertop for comfortable use
- Ideal for serving and hosting pieces other than chopping
- Deep brown color darkens more with time
- Durable edge grain construction meets the food safety requirements of culinary professionals
- Offers a one year guarantee against defects in material and workmanship
- Easy to lift, store and clean
- Soft edges of the square walnut wood cutting board ensure user safety
- Small size with no juice groove
5) Walnut Wood Cutting Board with Handle by Virginia Boys Kitchens – 10×16
Cut and serve in style with Virginia Boys Kitchens walnut end grain cutting board. The end grain construction is beautiful, long-lasting and knife-friendly. While an edge grain cutting board dulls your sharp knife after only a few uses, end grain makes sure you do not need your electric knife sharpener frequently. Also, the grain arrangement resists ugly marks on the work surface by a sharp knife.
100% food-safe material used in construction ensures the food you cut remains healthy and hygienic. It is free from nasty chemicals, toxins, and paraffin. Besides, Virginia Boys Kitchens use only American walnut wood to make cutting boards. The trees grow at least 2.4x faster than harvest + mortality rate. Thus, which is both economical and environment-friendly.
Rectangle shape along with a paddle eases lifting and serving food. Comfortable grip of the handle also eases oiling and washing. In fact, there’s a hole in the paddle that lets you hand the cutting board after use.
- The large cutting board provides enough space to chop and carve a good quantity of food at once
- Paddle eases serving, oiling, and washing
- A hole on the paddle lets you hang the unit safely after cleaning
- Quality craftsmanship with no sharp or rough edges
- Suitable to chop on both sides
- Offers a 100% money-back guarantee if you’re not fully satisfied with your product
- Best walnut cutting board for presenting charcuterie cheese platters, pizza, crackers, etc
- No juice groove
- Need to apply oil before use
Is Walnut good for cutting boards?
Walnut is a striaght-grained hardwood that is perfect for making cutting boards. It is naturally dark and beautiful. Plus, it is easy to maintain a walnut chopping board with oiling it once a while. Thanks to its straight-grain arrangement that does not dull out your sharp kitchen knife fast. Besides, you can also use walnut boards as a serving tray. Simply apply a coat of oil and they will look shiny new. Affordability and durability make walnut wood a great choice for cutting boards.
Is walnut or maple better for cutting boards?
If you’re confused between maple and walnut wood for the cutting board then let me tell you both of them are a great choice. Both maple and walnut are hardwood but with the color difference. While maple wood is light, walnut has a dark chocolate finish. Although both of them are hardwood, maple wins when it comes to strength. This makes maple a great choice for making heavy-furniture like kitchen cabinets, beds, dressing, etc.
On the other hand, walnut also shows enormous strength which again, makes it ideal for making heavy furniture, However, they are naturally dark in color which makes repainting them in a differnet color a bit difficult. While you can easily coat maple wood with your favorite paint color due to its whitish appearance.
Still can’t decide which wooden board is the best? Then go for a maple walnut end grain cutting board that comprises of both types of wood. Not only do they look beautiful but you can also double them as a serving tray.
How do you disinfect a wooden cutting board?
When buying wooden boards, always opt for hardwood instead of softwood as they last long and do get deep cuts from a sharp knife. And less deep the cut more the board will be healthy as bacteria will not have space to thrive. But even shallow cuts on wooden board needs cleaning time to time to kill off bacteria. While wooden boards are not dishwasher-safe they are really easy to clean with everyday home ingredients. Take a look below on how to disinfect your wooden cutting board.
- Warm soapy water
- Soft sponge
- Table salt
- Sliced lemon
- Walnut or almond oil
- After doing dishes, keep your dirty wooden cutting board in the sink and pour some lukewarm water over it.
- Now generously sprinkle salt over the cutting surface and rub it with the lemon slice. Rub the slice for at least a minute and focus more on the cut areas.
- Rinse the board thoroughly with lukewarm water and wipe clean. Let the board airdry upright overnight in the kitchen.
- The next morning clean the surface with paper towels. Now pour a few drops of walnut or almond oil over the cutting board and rub the oil in the direction of the wood grain with a lint-free cloth.
- Reapply till you feel the wood is absorbing the oil. Keep small gaps of 10-20 minutes before applying another layer of oil.
- Wipe off the excess oil with paper towels and let the board dry overnight. In the morning, you can use your disinfected and clean wooden board for use.
How thick should a walnut cutting board be?
Wooden cutting boards are generally thick. A thick board not only looks great but is also more comfortable to use. Besides, thickness adds weight which prevents the board from slipping away when you chop hard ingredients, raw meat or take out bones from fish. Wooden boards come in different shapes and sizes but standard thickness range from 1-1/4 inches to 2-1/4 inches. This much thickness is ideal for home use where you can comfortably cut, clean and serve.
Walnut tree is one of the most valued when it comes to making reliable wood furniture or culinary items. The walnut timber is hard, dense, tight-grained and polishes to a very smooth finish(1). Such wood qualities make it ideal for chopping or cutting boards.
If your good quality knife gets dull too often then the problem might be with your chopping board. Replace your old unit with a brand new walnut wood cutting board of end grain construction. Such quality wood is hard, heavy and beautiful. So not only will it last long but look beautiful on your kitchen countertop. Besides, it is very easy to maintain it. Simply rub the suitable wax or oil over walnut wood and you’ll get the new shiny finish. Then either chop, serve or display food items on the walnut board.