Lunchbreak is a favorite time of the day for working adults and school going kids. And why not, after all, you get to spend time with your friends along with sharing food. While whole fruits do not need special storage, there are certain recipes that spoil within a short span. And Thermos food jars will help food keep fresh for a long time.
Thermos’s special vacuum insulation technology helps to keep contents inside the food container hot or cold for a long while. So if you’ve packed frozen fruits in the lunchbox for your kids then they will remain fresh till evening. There will not be any leakage or spoilage of food. And that is what all parents want, fresh and healthy food at the right temperature. So we’ve picked some of the best Thermos insulated food jars that will protect the food inside from external elements.
What is a Food Jar?
From the name itself, we can say that a food jar is a kind of container that is used for storing food. But unlike traditional containers, Thermos food jars are more than simple food storage. Not only these stainless steel jars are great for packing food but they also prevent saucy items from spilling out. For example, pasta, meatballs, ramen, oatmeal will stay inside the food container no matter what position you keep your food jar in the bag.
But these are only a few great qualities of Thermos food jars to say. You’ll find out more great features as you check our best thermos food containers reviews below. From classic stainless steel exterior to kid-friendly ‘funtainer’ food jars, there are products for everyone. All the best finding your perfect food jar.
Best Thermos Food Jars
Here are our top picks and thermos food jar reviews for you that will keep your food warm and cold with respect to the initial temperature of your food.
1) Thermos Stainless King 16 Ounce Food Jar with Folding Spoon, Stainless Steel
Do you love having soup or homemade ramen during the break? Then, my friend, thermos 16 oz food jar is perfect for you. It is not too big nor too small, simply perfect for an adult. Thanks to its vacuum insulation technology that helps to keep contents hot or cold for a long time. Hot liquids stay hot up to 7 hours, while cold fluids remain cold for up to 9 hours. So, no matter whether you pack cold or hot food, it will retain its temperature till your lunch break.
We often forget to keep a spoon in the bag with our lunch box. And certain foods need a spoon to eat them properly, while others simply don’t like to eat without a spoon. So thermos stainless steel food jar offers a full-size spoon that is both comfortable and durable. This stainless steel spoon folds in 1/3 of the original size and perfectly fits on the top of the inner container.
- Top of the container doubles as a serving bowl
- Its folding spoon fits perfectly as well as stores hygienically on the inner top
- The wide opening lets you eat comfortably
- Durable double-wall stainless steel construction
- 100% BPA free material
- Contoured body shape’ easy to clean and handle
- It creates a vacuum seal that might be a bit tough top open for kids
2) Thermos Funtainer 10 Ounce Food Jar Review, Blue
Kids really love products that have their favorite color or cartoon character on it. So there’s this special thermos funtainer food jar range designed especially for kids. First of all, the product is not costly at all so no need to worry if your kid forgets the container at school. Secondly, 10 ounce capacity of food jar is enough for elementary and middle school children. There’s enough room to add frozen fruits, pasta, mac-n-cheese or vegetable stew.
But do not let less price of the product confuse you with its quality. Its double stainless steel walls keep food cold for 7 hours and hot for 5 hours. Besides, the material is strong enough not to break or leak when dropped down. On the other hand, the wide mouth lets your kid eat from the food jar comfortably. A full-size spoon or fork easily goes inside for proper food handling.
- Comes in a variety of kid-friendly colors and patterns
- Children can comfortably eat food from the wide opening
- The plastic lid does not break or crack easily
- Budget-friendly product
- Best thermos food jar for kids in terms of price, capacity, and appearance
- The lid does not get slippery even on getting wet
- Top-rack dishwasher safe
- Prefer washing by hands as strong detergents that go inside dishwasher might dull the color of thermos funtainer food jar
3) Thermos Stainless King 24 Ounce Food Jar, Midnight Blue
Mealtime varies when you’re camping or traveling. And if you prefer having homemade food during the journey then thermos stainless king food jar will be your perfect travel partner. Its solid vacuum insulation technology helps to keeps the liquid hot for up to 14 hours and cold for 24 hours. Thus, store your healthy and favorite soups inside the container to keep them tasting warm and fresh even if you take a sip after several hours.
Cheap food jars start to show sweat on the exterior when you store chilled fruits inside. But thanks to sweatproof technology of thermos 24 oz food jar that does not leak or sweat even if you store ice inside. Whereas, a pour stopper lets you pour your drink without removing the stopper. This, in turn, ensures the contents inside remains hot or cold while you’re sipping your favorite beverage.
- Unbreakable stainless steel base and serving cup
- The cap doubles as a serving bowl that holds a good quantity of liquid
- An easy to use, twist and pour stopper
- Great temperature retention
- No burn, no sweat exterior cool technology
- Large capacity; good enough for 2 people
- Does not have provision to store folding spoon
4) Thermos 2330TRI6 Vacuum Insulated Food Jar, 10 oz Review
The main part of any insulated food jar or bottle is its walls. Good quality the walls, better temperature retention will product provides. And thermos 2330TRI6 high vacuum insulation that helps to keep the temperature of the liquid inside hot or cold for a long while. There is a complete vacuum between the two stainless steel walls that virtually eliminates temperature change. Thus, you’ll experience the fresh, home-like taste in each bite.
While the body of thermos 2330TRI6 is of stainless steel, the lid, and the bottom is of plastic. Instead of smooth plastic, the texture is a bit rough that allows you to open the lid easily even if it is wet. In addition to the ergonomic lid, the contoured body of thermos food jar 10 oz gives a good holding grip. In short, it is a compact, easy to use, perfect unit for a small mid-day meal.
- Lightweight unit; travel-friendly
- Small food jar is easy to store and perfect for personal use
- The contents do not leak at all no matter how to keep the unit in your lunch bag
- Easy-to-open lid
- Dishwasher safe food jar
- The wide mouth of the container eases filling food or liquid in it
- Normally, the food will stay hot for up to 5 hours and cold for 7. But you need to add hot or cold water prior to filling content for about 5 minutes to keep it hot/cold for a longer period
- The plastic gasket is difficult to remove while cleaning
5) Thermos Stainless King 47 Ounce Vacuum Insulated Food Jar with 2 Inserts, Stainless Steel
Need a full meal on break? Then let thermos stainless king 47 oz food jar fill your appetite. Unlike the above units, this product includes 2 inner containers. These 20 oz plastic containers are made of plastic which is of food-grade quality. And both of them have airtight lids prevent sauces or liquidy items from coming off. Therefore, the containers are great for storing soup, dips for nachos, pasta, ramen, etc.
Holding this large food jar would be uncomfortable with hands. So thermos features a handle with a black soft grip that helps to carry the unit. You can even hang it in a secure place. And not to worry as the small containers inside will not tilt or get upside down. There is very little space for the container to move which helps to keep both the jars and contents inside in place.
- Perfect wide mouth thermos food jar to pack a full meal
- Includes 2 plastic BPA-free containers
- Loop handle eases carrying the unit
- Cool-to-touch with hot liquids and sweat-proof with cold
- Comes in 2 basic finishes; matte black and stainless steel
- Airtight lids of small jars prevent leakage and spilling
- Quality of containers could be better; they tend to deform with the heat
- The bulky design will take up good storage space
6) Thermos Stainless Steel 16 Ounce Vacuum Insulated Food Jar with Folding Spoon, Blue
Unlike simple stainless steel or black color, this unit has a beautiful blue exterior with a plastic base. This plastic gasket prevents the unit from slipping as well as protects your tabletop from ugly scratches. Besides, all the parts come off easily for thorough hand cleaning. Or else, you can simply put it in the top rack of the dishwasher.
- Comprises of a stopper with a built-in folding spoon mold
- Double-wall vacuum insulation
- Good quality spoon
- Safe to wash in the top rack of the dishwasher
- Non-slip plastic base
- Extra-wide mouth eases filling in contents and eating from the food jar
- Cool-to-touch with hot items and condensation-free with cold items
- Blue color only
- It does not keep the food warm for long
7) Thermos Funtainer 16 Ounce Food Jar, Purple
Teenagers overgrow cartoon characters by their age and ask for a product that is simple yet stylish. And this product from the thermos funtainer series is loved by many teens. Simple and elegant, 16 oz capacity of the unit is perfect for a high school student. Plus, it has a good wide opening that lets you kid eat comfortably without the need to adjust spoon in every bite.
This funtainer food jar keeps food cold up to 7 hours and hot for 5 hours. And similar to the most thermos units, this one also uses vacuum insulation technology. This technology ensures no passage of air in between steel walls. And when there is no airflow, the hot/cold food inside retains its temperature for a long while. Thus, you get to eat delicious and fresh food at the perfect temperature.
- Double lid with a spot for folding spoon
- The stainless steel spoon is very durable
- Wide opening(3-inch) means comfortable eating and filling of the container
- Pop up the funtainer food container in the dishwasher for easy cleaning
- Comes in 2 beautiful shades; purple and charcoal
- You can easily clean the interior with a soft sponge, thanks to the wide mouth of the jar
- Poring boiling water prior to filling the container with hot food will keep it piping hot for hours
- Washing the unit in the dishwasher every day will dull its appearance
- Does keep the food warm but not for too long if you directly fill the container with hot food
About Thermos Brand
The thermos was the first company to introduce vacuum insulation products to customers. And not surprisingly, this technology took over the market like crazy. The credit behind this huge success goes to their excellent craftsmanship that develops products for all ages. For kids and teens, there is a special range of Funtainer® that comes in colorful exterior with cartoon characters on some. Whereas, other the thermos king series is ideal for adults who seek a practical and classic unit.
Vacuum insulation technology is what keeps hot things hot and cold things cold for hours. While traditional containers find ways for the air to escape and come in, thermos food jar’s vacuum insulation creates an airless space between 2 walls. This void space virtually eliminates the temperature change and thus, shows very little variation in the temperature inside the chamber. As a result, the content stays icy cold or steamy hot for hours irrespective of the weather outside.
Is Thermos Food Jar LEAD or BPA free?
Thermos food jars are rigorously tested to maintain the highest quality. After testing, one thing that Thermos surely can say is you do not pose to a risk of lead exposures using their products. While their special lines Funtainer® and Foogo® are made from BPA-free materials. Instead of cheap chemicals, they use food-grade 18/8 stainless steel material.
How do you clean a thermos jar?
Most of the Thermos products are top-rack dishwasher safe. But before popping them in your dishwasher do read the user manual. Even though their products are top-rack dishwasher safe, Thermos recommends hand washing them for long-lasting performance. Besides, you must never use bleach to clean the surface as it will simply degrade the exterior of the Thermos jar. Normal soap water cleaning is enough to thoroughly wash your food jar.
Can you keep cold milk in a thermos?
The purpose of buying a Thermos is to able to keep food warm or cold for long hours. So yes, you can surely store cold milk in a thermos. However, there are a few things to keep in mind before you pack milk in the jar. First of all, milk spoils easily on temperature difference or when not stored properly. So it is better to pour cold milk in Thermos just before leaving your house.
Once you open the Thermos, have all the milk in the jar. Do not store the liquid for later use as there are high chances of bacterial growth. The milk is then not safe to use even if you heat it. It is better to throw away the remaining milk, wash the bottle and fill it again with fresh liquid.
What can you put in a Thermos Food Jar?
Your tall Thermos food jar is more versatile than you think. Apart from storing handmade beverages, there are a lot of things you can put in a Thermos jar. Soup is very common to pack in a food jar. So what else can do pack? Have a look below:
- Bean Salad
- Ramen(Top choice of many)
- Chicken fingers
- Roasted vegetables
How do I Get Best the Temperature Retention in Vacuum Insulated Thermos?
I’ve seen many people complain their food does not remain hot enough till lunchtime. This is because they lack a proper storing sense. Here your objective should be to pack food that does not require reheating at the workplace. Just keep a few things in mind and you can enjoy a warm homemade meal during the break.
- Before packing a hot meal, pour warm water in the Thermos and keep it for a few minutes. Doing this will ensure the food remains hot for a long while.
- Also, heat the food in microwave till its piping hot. Or if you’re cooking on the stovetop, make sure it reaches boiling point. Juices or sauce in the food helps to maintain its temperature. Now transfer the piping hot contents in your Thermos food jar and close the lid tightly.
- Similarly, you need to pre-fill the jar with icy cold water for a few minutes before you pour a cold beverage or store cold food. This will keep your beverage/food cool for long hours for you to enjoy delicious food at the office or college.
Now you can enjoy a warm meal without the need for a microwave, thanks to thermal insulation food jars. They come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors so that you can get the best suitable one. And some of them even include a high-quality stainless steel folding spoon that perfectly sits on the top of the stopper so that you do not forget to keep a spoon every time you pack your own or your kid’s lunch. So experience freshness even after hours in every bite/sip with your thermos food jar.