Teflon coated pans can be very dangerous for your health and a cooking pan is one daily use kitchen utensil. So it is very important to have a non-stick pan that does not have Teflon coating.
Non-stick utensils are a lot easier to clean. There are also dishwasher-safe non-stick frying pans available that cut down handwashing time. Such qualities of non-stick cookware make them worth the money.
The best thing about non-stick pans is they are available in wonderful colors. Your mood of cooking automatically boosts when you get your favorite color cookware. Also, they look expensive when in reality they are cheap or say affordable and will not burn a hole in your pocket.
However, it can sometimes becomes difficult to choose a quality product when there are hundreds of options. So today we’ve reviewed some of the best non-stick pans without Teflon for safe and healthy cooking.
What is Teflon? and Why it is Harmful?
Teflon is neither a toxic substance or a chemical. In fact, it is the brand name for chemical coating. The chemical polytetrafluoroethylene or PTFE is coated to various cookware surfaces to prevent the sticking of food onto the base. This synthetic polymer repels water and reduces friction to a great extent for effortless cooking. And who doesn’t like to cook food is a surface that heats evenly and is easy to wash afterward?
But a layer of Teflon might make you step back from buying non-stick frying pans. While PTFE remains safe to use at normal temperatures, the problem arises when the temperature goes high. At high temperatures, PTFE starts breaking down and releases chemical compounds in the air. These chemicals can cause chest congestion and breathing problems in the long term. And birds are worst affected by these chemicals due to their sensitive respiratory system. This is what makes Teflon pans dangerous.
With the side effects of Teflon on the mind, people nowadays prefer to cook on a Teflon free non-stick pan. And below are our top picks of non-stick frying pan without Teflon for better, healthier and safe cooking.
Best Non-Stick Pan without Teflon Coating
1. GreenPan Lima 12″ Ceramic Non-Stick Covered Frypan
Certain food like fish and chicken needs high temperature for frying. And if you make fried dishes frequently then you might like to have a durable frying pan like GreenPan. This 12-inch thermolon ceramic coated pan is free from harmful chemicals like PFOA, PFAS, lead, and cadmium. And the strong coating can handle a variety of cooking styles. You can roast, fry, broil, bake, or sear ingredients on higher temperatures without worrying about cracking or flaking of the ceramic coat.
A convenient glass lid with handle lets you monitor the cooking process. Whereas, you can easily toss and turn ingredients with the help of its ergonomically-shaped stainless steel handle. In addition to a comfortable grip, the lightweight of the ceramic pan makes it easy for the user to handle it while cooking food. And once the food gets cooked, it is very easy to handwash the unit under running water. You can use a little amount of dishwasher liquid to remove smell or grease from the ceramic surface.
- Hard anodized aluminum
- Riveted stainless steel handle
- Thermolon ceramic non-stick coating
- Clear glass lid
- Handwash only
- Oven-safe(up to 420 degrees F)
- Weighs 4.2 pounds
- Limited lifetime warranty
- The pan is free from harmful chemical PFTE and similar compounds
- Clear glass lid lets you see your food inside
- Lightweight makes it easy to handle unit while cooking and cleaning
- The ceramic coating will not blister, peel, or release any harmful peels even at high temperatures
- Sturdy anodized aluminum construction lasts for years without cracking
- You get 2 color choices, bronze and gray
- Budget-friendly price
- Broiler and oven safe to up to 420 degrees Fahrenheit
- Handwash only
- Little heavy to lift
2. DaTerra Cucina Natural Nonstick Coating Frying Pan with No PTFE or Lead Coatin
As a parent, you make sure your child eats healthy, homemade food. And now you can make the food healthier by switching to a Teflon free nonstick pan. The Daterra Cucina ceramic cookware is free from nasty chemicals that are known to cause respiratory problems and birth defects. All its 4 layers are made of safe materials that enrich the taste of food every time you cook food on the pan.
The thick 3.7 mm bottom layer of the sandblasted aluminum base provides optimum conductivity. It distributes heat evenly for better and faster cooking of food. And the best thing about the flat base pan is, it is compatible with all types of stoves. You can cook food on a glass top stove, propane, natural or even an electric stove. None of them will scratch or damage the surface of your non-stick frying pan.
DaTerra Cucina includes a lid with a silicon edge to overcome the problem of wobbling of the lid while boiling food at higher temperatures. This airtight seal helps in maintaining even temperature for the rich and great texture of food. While a small hole on clear glass lid lets air pass through easily in order to maintain pressure inside the pan. You can easily lift the lid of the non-stick pan with bare hands to check the food in between the cooking process. Thanks to the heat-resistant coating on side and lid handle.
- Heavy-duty 3.7 mm sandblasted aluminum base
- 4-layer construction
- Multiple stoves compatible
- Heat-resistant silicone handle
- Oven safe(up to 450 degrees F)
- Weighs 2 lbs
- 1-year warranty
- Oven-safe quality of the pan makes it perfect for reverse-searing of meat and other such ingredients
- Lightweight design eases flipping of food
- Italian style of the product will enhance your cookware collection
- 4-layers on nonstick coating heats up rapidly as well as distributes heat evenly
- The PTFE free pan is safe to use on glass top, propane, natural gas, and electric stove
- Silicon edge on glass lid seals pan for better and even cooking of food
- Heat-resistant silicone handle prevents burning of fingers when the user lifts the pan to toss and turn food at higher temperatures
- This non-toxic frying pan is made in Italy with natural materials
3. Green Earth Frying Pan 3-Piece Set by Ozeri (8″, 10″, 12″) – Teflon Free
Cooking food for family means dealing with a lot of utensils. So rather than buying each pan separately, it is better to buy a complete set that meets your requirements as well as looks well in your kitchen. So Ozeri offers a set of nonstick frying pans that are both beautiful and durable. This set includes 3 frying pans of different sizes. But one common feature in all of them is, they are 100% PTFE and PFOA free.
Along with Teflon free surface, the coating of Ozeri Green Earth pans is free from lesser-known yet harmful chemicals such as NMP and NEP. So one sure thing is food on your plate will always remain safe to consume as long as you use Ozeri pan. While many products have a flat cooking surface, Ozeri features a honeycomb textured surface. Such a surface retains heat evenly and results in well-cooked food without sticking to the surface.
- 3-piece set
- Dual ceramic coating
- Induction stove safe
- Honeycomb texture cooking surface
- Die-cast aluminum construction
- Silicone coated handle
- Free from all major and minor chemicals like PFOA, PTFE, APEO, NMP, and NEP
- Heat-resistant silicone-coated handles provide a comfortable grip while you flip or serve food
- You get an 8-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch non-toxic frying pans for different quantity of ingredients
- The set of 3 frying pans is affordable & comes under $100
- Heavy-duty die-cast aluminum construction is durable
- The magnetized base provides rapid heat transfer on the induction stove
- The dual ceramic coating on pan ensure no chipping, peeling or cracking of surface on higher temperatures
- Scratch-resistance, honeycomb surface prevents sticking of food
- Low temprature support
4. Lodge L10SK3CN Skillet Cooking, 12″ without Teflon
Our best nonstick pan list without Teflon would be incomplete without mentioning Lodge cast iron skillet. The extremely versatile nature of the skillet makes it an essential cooking tool for every kitchen. From everyday stovetop use to campfire cooking, the Lodge cast iron frying pan can be used on various cooking surfaces. The credit behind such durability and versatility of the product goes to the use of cast iron in its construction.
Cast iron is known for its long-lasting performance and is healthier than both ceramic and aluminum. Plus, whenever you cook food using a cast iron pan it leaves a hint of iron on food that makes it taste better. Certain foods like beef, meat and chicken breast taste delicious when cooked on a cast-iron surface. And the best part is, you can carry your Lodge skillet anywhere with you for a healthy and well-cooked meal anytime.
Lodge skillet comes pre-seasoned and is ready for use right after unboxing. No synthetic chemicals are used for the seasoning of iron. The natural seasoning of soy-based vegetable oil prevents food from sticking onto the iron surface. In fact, it makes the cookware great to sear, saute, bake, broil, and fry. Even heating and better heat retention of cast iron results in thorough cooking of hard food items such as meat. Whereas soft ingredients take less time to cook.
- 12-inch cast-iron skillet
- Made in the USA
- 2 inches deep
- Multiple cooking surfaces compatible
- Ergonomic design
- Weighs 7.94 pounds
- Limited lifetime warranty
- It stands as best cast iron pan on Amazon with over 12000 positive reviews
- High-quality cast-iron construction of the skillet will last for generations
- Comes naturally pre-seasoned for a smooth cooking experience
- Unparalleled in heat retention, this cast iron cookware is perfect to cook all types of food
- Compatible for use in oven, stove, on the grill or over the campfire
- Available in different size and shapes — with and without lid
- No synthetic chemicals are used for pre-seasoning of skillet
- Heavy to lift
- You need to pre-season the skillet with a thin layer of vegetable oil after washing
- Handwash only
5. Nonstick Ceramic Copper Frying Pan – Induction Non-Stick Skillet With Glass Lid
Keep toxic chemicals away from your food by using Almond nonstick copper pan. While the surface is Teflon free, copper holds its own benefits that makes cooking even more healthy. Copper is known for great heat conduction which means it will heat up the surface fast as compared to many ceramic frying pans. Plus, it has a good heat retention capacity that keeps the surface warm for a longer period. As a result, you well-cooked meat and other ingredients with a hint of copper in it.
It is completely safe to bake items inside Almond oven-safe non-stick pan up to 420 degrees Fahrenheit. Whereas, the tempered glass lid is oven safe up to 500 Fahrenheit. Not only does this clear lid lets you monitor your food but it also keeps the dish warm for a long time until you’re ready to plate. And washing the pan is as easy as cooking food in it. Give a good rinse before putting it inside the dishwasher and you’ll get a shiny surface.
- Copper coating
- 12-inch size
- Oven safe(up to 420 F)
- Tempered glass lid
- 3.0 mm thickness
- Stainless steel handle
- Weighs 5.05 pounds
- 1-year warranty
- The tempered glass lid can withstand temperature up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit
- Perfect unit for everyday cooking
- The ergonomically shaped handle lets you flip, toss and serve food items comfortably
- You can put the unit inside the dishwasher for effortless cleaning after use
- Compatible with multiple cooktops like glass, induction, electric and even grill
- The non-toxic copper skillet resists oxidation and will not tarnish easily
- Quality of glass lid could be better
6. GreenLife Soft Grip 12″ Ceramic Non-Stick Open Frypan without Teflon Coating
Thick bottom of the pan will prevent it from rising from the middle while you turn flame on high. So oil will remain in middle instead of accumulating on sides. And even spreading of oil on pan means the food will absorb flavors from all sides in the right amount. Therefore, which makes a great tasting dish. And if you love to make your own breakfast daily then you’ll like Greenlife non-stick pan without Teflon. Its thick base is suitable for gas and electric stoves.
Free from PFOA, PTFE, lead, and cadmium, the thermolon ceramic non-stick coating is safe for us as well as the environment. It does not release chemical compounds in the air even if you accidentally raise the temperature. Along with providing quality, the color of this Greenlife non-stick frying pan will add a touch of style to your kitchen. Soft color on the outer body of pan with matching soft-grip handle provides comfort in style. Thus, toss and turn ingredients in style with Greenlife soft-grip Open frypan.
- Aluminum reinforced body
- Soft-grip handle
- Ceramic coating
- Oven-safe(350 degrees F)
- Weighs 2.27 pounds
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Dishwasher-safe construction makes clean up of pan a breeze
- Stay-cool soft grip prevents burning of hand while you toss, turn, lift or serve food
- Even heat distribution across heavy-duty aluminum body results in well-cooked food from all sides
- The middle portion of cookware does not raise when you set the flame on high
- You get 7 beautiful color choices to enhance your kitchen cookware collection
- A hole on the handle of Teflon free frying pan lets you hang it safely
- The lightweight design of the product lets you flip eggs easily without stressing your arm or wrist
- Not compatible with induction
- You must avoid using processed spray oils to prevent damage to ceramic coating(natural oils are good to use)
7. WaxonWare Granite Ceramic Nonstick Frying Pan – Non-Toxic PTFE, APEO, PFOA Free (Induction Compatible)
The non-stick ability of Waxonware frying pan is just amazing. You can see eggs sliding on the surface smoothly without sticking to the bottom. Also, oil spreads out evenly on the smooth cooking surface which makes food more delicious. And the surface is free from harmful chemicals such as PTFE, PFOA, APEO, etc. So the food you cook on this non-toxic frying pan will be all healthy from inside and outside as no chemical compounds will infuse in it.
Top-grade electromagnetic induction bottom ensures even heat distribution on various cooking surfaces. You can use the Teflon free nonstick pan on gas, halogen, induction as well as an electric stove. Thanks to the premium aluminum and alloy construction that protects the metal body and nonstick ceramic coat from damage. Plus, you can directly put the frying pan inside the dishwasher for effortless washing. But it is better to wash it by hand for better, long-lasting performance.
- 5-layer ceramic coating
- Induction stovetop friendly
- Aluminum-alloy construction
- Electromagnetic induction bottom
- Anti-wrap protection
- Riveted handle
- Felt pad
- Limited lifetime warranty
- High-grade materials used in the construction of the product makes it worth buying
- Smooth, PTFE free nonstick pan does not stick food onto the ceramic surface
- Heat distributes equally from the center to sides with no hot spots
- You can put the unit inside the dishwasher for clean up
- Riveted, heat-resistant handle enables you to lift and shift pan easily without the need to wear gloves
- Includes a table mat to protect countertop and table surface from heat damage
- The product is suitable to use on multiple cooking surfaces
- The unit is oven safe up to 350 F for a maximum of 1-hour session (not suitable for large family)
How to pick the right Non-Stick Pan Without Teflon?
Uses: Where are you going to use your nonstick pan? Is it for stovetop, oven, grill or induction? You must select a product based on the cooking surface you use most often. If you like to use an induction cooktop then it is better to go for an aluminum base nonstick pan for better heat retention. Or a versatile product such as Lodge cast iron skillet is better if you prefer a unit suitable for both indoor and outdoor cooking. Then there’s ceramic coating cookware that is also fine to use on various surfaces but works best with gas and electric stoves.
Built Material: You might have seen various types of built material in the above list of the nonstick pan with Teflon. Majorly these materials include aluminum, steel or cast iron construction. And there can be different types of coating on these surfaces. While ceramic lasts longer than aluminum, it tends to shatter on an accidental drop. Whereas aluminum, on the other hand, heats faster but loses its nonstick capacity in the long run. While cast iron is durable and will not break even after years and years of use. But they are quite heavy to handle as well as takes a bit of time to heat.
Number of People or size of the pan: Serving size of pan is important when you cook daily at home. The non-stick frying pan you choose must be large enough to fit in all ingredients at one time. This saves your time by eliminating the need to cook in batches. But you might not need a large pan if you cook only for yourself. It is best to buy a set of nonstick frying pans without Teflon for a family with more than 4 members.
Lightweight or Heavy: Aluminum pans are light in weight as compared to ceramic and cast iron pans. Therefore, they make ideal cookware for daily cooking on the stovetop especially if you toss and turn ingredients a lot. Ceramic frying pans are also a great choice for daily cooking but they are a bit heavier than aluminum. But on the positive side, they are free from harmful chemicals and perfect for healthy cooking. Cast iron cookware is heaviest of all but at the same time durable of all. They can withstand rough usage without scratching or breaking for years.
Overall Look: Ceramic cookwares are stylish and come in a variety of colors to match with your kitchen interior. Plus, the smooth surface of ceramic is easy to wash and keeps on looking new even after using it for a long while. Similar quality applies to aluminum or steel cookware with the nonstick coating without Teflon. They also come in various designs to enhance your cookware collection.
Some FAQ About Non-Stick and Teflon
Do all non stick pans have Teflon?
Even though it is basic cookware, a common question that hits our mind is, do all nonstick pans have a Teflon coating? Well, a majority of them do have Teflon, or scientifically, polytetrafluoroethylene coating that prevents food from sticking to the pan surface. But that does not mean all the cookware in the market has a Teflon layer. If you’re are afraid to cook on Teflon pans then there are other options out there. Stainless steel, copper, aluminum, and most popular material, ceramic pans are best to use instead of Teflon.
Is scratched Teflon dangerous?
If you feat the chipped pan surface is gonna give you cancer then relax, it isn’t. Scratching of Teflon is common with time. A high-quality pan will take more time to layer-off the chemical coating while a cheap one will start chipping after a few months of use. But there is nothing to worry about. Studies on a group of mice show that it is not PTFE that is dangerous but PFOA.
PFOA or perfluorooctanoic acid is a chemical used to make PTFE. Unlike PTFE or Teflon, PFOA is not safe for humans in high quantities. A study performed on mice shows how high quantities of PFOA is linked with cancer. But thanks to the manufacturing process that burns down PFOA with no significant remaining in the final product. So in short, scratched Teflon surface is safe to use.
What is PFOA free nonstick?
PTFE and PFOA are two heavy words whenever you search for the best nonstick pan. And people have exaggerated these chemicals even though they are safe to use now. A PFOA free nonstick means there is no use of the chemical in making of the nonstick layer. Such cookware is safe to use and is good for the environment as well.
After studying the dangerous side effects of the presence of PFOA in cookware FDA discontinued the use of the chemical in making the Teflon layer. Unfortunately, the chemical was linked to causing cancer in a study performed on mice. And since then, that is 2013, all Teflon cookware is PFOA-free. If you still have old cookware with a nonstick layer then you might consider buying a new one.
Is ceramic better than Teflon?
Yes, the ceramic pans are better than Teflon in many ways. First of all, ceramic does not use any chemicals in the composition of its nonstick layer. This means the ceramic surface is free from PTFE and PFOA. However, ceramic cookware is not completely made of ceramic. Instead, the ceramic coating contains mineral-based blends instead of arguable chemicals, PTFE and PFOA.
Secondly, ceramic cookware looks way better than Teflon. They come in various colors instead of a simple black layer. You can upgrade your kitchen cookware collection without spending a hefty amount. Besides, ceramic cookware is also safe for the environment. You can use them in an oven or in broiler and high temperatures would not release harmful fumes like PTFE cookware.
Just make sure to buy a good quality ceramic pan from a trusted company as there are many brands out there who infuse lead or cadmium while making. And these chemicals when it comes in contact with your food prove to be harmful. Other than that, you will not have to worry about the nonstick coating of ceramic cookware.
Chemicals used in non-stick coating might not affect you instantly but they are harmful in the long term. So it is better to be safe than sorry by investing in a good quality product. And now that you have a list of best nonstick frying pan without Teflon, you can choose the right product for your kitchen that fulfills your requirements. All the products listed above are affordable and durable. And most importantly, they are free from chemicals that are harmful to both humans and the environment.