While many are familiar with cast iron pots and pans, only a few know about enameled cast iron dutch oven as a cooking utensil. And there are several reasons behind it. With technologies taking a step further day by day, people choose them over traditional cooking. It’s like why to turn on flame and wait for the pan to heat up when you can simply press buttons of the microwave.
No doubt that electronic devices like microwave, oven, and rice cookers ease the cooking process. But you will surely feel a difference in the taste of food once you switch to cast iron dutch oven. And certain foods hits your taste buds like never before. Credit for such an enhanced flavor of foods goes to the shape and material of the dutch oven.
The majority of dutch ovens are made of cast iron. And cast iron is a very healthy cooking surface. It holds heats evenly that in turn makes a great-tasting recipe. However, many brands use basic construction material other than cast iron. For example, you will come across aluminum or ceramic materials while searching for a best enameled cast iron dutch oven.
What is a dutch oven?
It is a thick cooking vessel with the shape of a pot, usually made of cast iron with a tight-fitting lid. Cast iron dutch oven generally comes pre-seasoned for convenience of the user. But one must season it properly for its long life. And no one has time to season cast iron dutch ovens in this busy world. So the best way is to buy an enameled cast iron dutch oven.
Enameled cast iron dutch ovens do not need seasoning like cast iron ones. Plus, they are far more stylish and long-lasting as compared to full cast iron construction. But with so many options available in the market, it becomes hard to find the right product. Not to worry as the below list of best enameled cast iron dutch oven reviews will surely ease your search and help in making delicious recipes.
Best Cast Iron Enameled Dutch Oven 2020
1) Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven – White
Cook food in style with Lodge enameled cast iron dutch oven. Not only does the unit look great but is cost-effective. The price of the product is 3 to 4 times less than similar products of the same range. Therefore, which makes Lodge holds a special position in our review list. But do not let the budget-friendly price tag of Lodge dutch oven fool you with its capabilities as it posses some outstanding features.
Cast iron is the primary construction material of l
Superior heat distribution and retention of the enameled cast iron dutch oven will evenly cook the food from all sides. Whereas, the tight-fitting knob helps in retaining moisture and juices that come off the chicken. And this makes out a delicious mouth-watering dish.
The best thing about porcelain enamel is it does not react with food you cook even at high temperatures. However, the material is not suitable to use on outdoor grills or microwave. But you can hassle-free use Lodge cast iron dutch oven on gas, induction, ceramic or electric cooking surfaces. Its excellent heat retention capacity will give you the best result no matter what cooking surface you choose.
High heat resistant capacity of steel knob makes the Lodge enameled cast iron dutch oven safe to put in an electric oven. You can make delicious baked dishes having a temperature of not more than 500 degrees Fahrenheit. And once the unit cools down, it is safe to put in the dishwasher for effortless cleaning. Although it is a dishwasher safe cast iron dutch oven, Lodge suggests handwashing with warm soapy water. Handwashing will preserve cookware’s original appearance and ensures the long life of the vessel.
Why should you buy it?
- Fairly priced product as compared to other units of the same range
- Glossy exterior of Lodge EC6D13 looks shiny new for years
- Superior heat retention produces a perfect braise or expert saute
- You can broil, braise, bake or roast ingredients in the oven up to 500 degrees F
- Lodge 6 quart cast iron dutch oven is available in more than 10 colors to match with your existing kitchen cookwares
- Loop handle on sides provides a comfortable grip to hold and cook food
- Smooth glass surface does not react with food and is chip-resistant
- The large diameter of the vessel lets you fit in a good quantity of food at once without cutting into pieces
- It is enameled from all sides including the lid for a long-lasting performance
- Backed by Lodge’s lifetime warranty
2) Cuisinart CI670-30CR – Chef’s Classic Enameled Cast Iron 7-Quart Round Covered Casserole
Smaller sizes of pots are not sufficient to make food for more number of people, especially when you’ve got a big family. And C
Cast iron construction is the reason behind excellent heat retention and even heat distribution. And over that is a thick layer of porcelain enamel that adds strength to the vessel. This strong, durable finish is chip and scratch-resistant. Plus, its brilliant shiny exterior double as an elegant serving piece. You can cook and serve in the same pot as it will not look an oddball on your dining table.
Before putting the Cuisinart classic enameled cast-iron casserole inside the dishwasher, make sure it is cooled completely. However, it is important to note that regular use of dishwasher might affect color and exterior. So it is better to hand wash the unit with warm soapy water and soft nylon scrub. But you can use a dishwasher occasionally or in case of a hurry.
Porcelain enamel on the interior lets you cook a variety of food using very little oil. And the layer will not impart flavors or absorb odors. Besides, the enamel cast iron dutch oven is completely safe to use on different cooking surfaces. These surfaces include a stovetop, oven, broiler, and induction top. Unfortunately, you cannot use Cuisinart dutch oven on grill surface but you can undoubtedly grill food inside by keeping it over compatible cooking top.
On the downside, we did not like small loop handles of Cuisinart casserole. Although they are strong enough to lift the entire pot but not much comfortable. But one can get used to them if you use the dutch oven regularly.
Why should you buy Cuisinart CI670-30CR?
- Large cooking surface can make food for 6-7 adults in one go
- Porcelain enamel exterior can go from oven to table and doubles as a serving vessel
- Cast iron construction remains sturdy throughout years
- Easy to clean by hand or inside a dishwasher
- Multiple cooking surfaces compatible
- You can buy same color utensils and upgrade your kitchen cookware collection
- The coating does not absorb odors of the previously cooked meal
- A fairly priced product according to the quality and large surface it offers
- Comes in three basic colors, red, blue and black
3) Tramontina 80131/037DS Enameled Cast Iron Covered Round Dutch Oven, 5.5-Quart
Dutch ovens are widely used in making stews and braises. And the traditional method is to fit a whole chicken inside pot and stew till it gets tender. So it is very important to focus on the shape of dutch ovens if you’ll be cooking chicken stew multiple times. Thanks to Tramontina enameled cast iron dutch oven round in shape with a 5.5-quart capacity. It measures 10.1 inches wide and 7.5 inches deep. Thus, good enough to fit in a whole medium-size chicken.
The best thing about Tramontina 5.5 qt enamel dutch oven is its thick porcelain enamel coating. It is sturdy, chip-resistant and easy to clean. But more importantly, the coating is free from PFOA and PTFE. PFOA is a type of synthetic acid that has a high melting point. But once the temperature gets high, it’s chemical composition begins to break and incorporates into the food you’re cooking. This can lead to some serious health issues.
Placement of handle on sides makes it easy for the user to lift or shift the vessel. While stainless steel knob lets you lift the lid smoothly to monitor the cooking process. This solid steel knob is extremely durable and oven safe to up to 450 F. Apart from the oven, the round cast iron dutch oven is compatible with gas, electric, ceramic glass, and induction cooktops.
The self-basting condensation ridges on lid uniformly collect and direct vapors onto food. This, in turn, makes out a great tasting dutch oven recipe with no flavor evaporating in the air.
Why buy Tramontina 80131/037DS?
- The lid fits in perfectly that holds flavors and juices of food inside
- Porcelain enamel is free from harmful chemicals, PFOA and PTFE
- Inside of the cast iron dutch oven is enameled with off-white color to let you check browning of food properly
- Cast iron delivers heat evenly in all directions to tenderize meat, poultry, and veggies
- It is wide and deep enough to grill a whole chicken
- Both dutch oven and lid are oven safe up to 450 Fahrenheit
- All food contact surfaces are FDA compliant
- The product is backed by a lifetime warranty
4) Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 7-1/4-Quart Round French (Dutch) Oven, Marseille
Made in France, the Le Creuset french enameled cast iron dutch oven is the gold standard of all cookware. One you use this round dutch oven, you will find it difficult to cook in other models. Credit for such outstanding performance goes to Le Creuset’s excellent craftsmanship. They’ve been in the cookware industry for a long while now and excel in making cookware. That touch of French design in the pot makes it different from others.
Le Creuset signature round enameled cast iron dutch oven is expensive. But it is worth every single penny. Its enamel coating is hand made from the sand molds. And this sand-colored interior enamel has more resistant to wear than cheap dutch ovens.
The heat resistant capacity of the model is higher than standard units. The large composite knob can withstand temperature up to 500 degrees F. And you can easily lift the hot dutch oven with the handle on sides. These handles are 45 percent larger that makes it convenient for the user to lift the vessel wearing mitts. So no matter what cooking source you prefer to make delicious dutch oven recipe, one sure thing is you will not spill contents accidentally because of small or uncomfortable grip.
Solid cast iron construction of the unit results in great heat retention capacity. This, in turn, keeps the food warm for a long period. And using a heating pad below the vessel will keep the food warm till 2 serving. No need to take rounds of the kitchen again and again just to reheat the food. You can sit and enjoy a warm dinner with your family and friends. And on the other side, the same cast iron vessel can keep food cold for a long time. Thus, it is an ideal unit to use all year round.
Why should you buy Le Creuset Signature French Dutch Oven?
- Superior quality enamel and cast iron construction that lasts for years
- Safe to use on the grill, a feature that many brands does not support
- 45% large handles for convenient handling and serving
- The large composite knob can withstand temperature up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit
- You can stew food on gas, electric, ceramic, oven or induction hob
- A dishwasher-safe dutch oven that resists cracking and peeling
- Available in more than 10 colors to match with your kitchen style and cookware collection
- Cast iron does both, heats and keeps the food cold
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
5) Lodge 7.5 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven -(Island Spice Red)
Here comes another Lodge product on our best enameled cast iron dutch oven reviews. The XL capacity of the vessel makes it ideal to cook food for 7-8 adults. If you love cooking and throwing dinner parties, then this Lodge cast iron enameled dutch oven is for you. Its 7.5 quart capacity lets you stew a good amount of meat in one go. And a 12-inch diameter with a 4-3/4-inch depth fits large size chicken. And you still get space to saute spices and vegetables.
Unlike a single solid color, Lodge EC7D43 comprises of 2 colors. While the rest of the body is either red or blue the rim of the lid is black. This makes it a good serving vessel apart from just cookware. And not to worry the black part of the rim is matte porcelain, not exposed cast iron. Instead of a single layer, the enamel is coated with 2 layers. This makes the porcelain coating hard, glossy and chip-resistant. Also, it does not react with food and is a breeze to clean.
The double-layer coating is safe to use on various cooking surfaces like gas, electric, ceramic and induction cooktops. However, it is not suitable for use on outdoor grills, open flame or microwave. Cooking on such surfaces will crack the outer coating. On the downside, we did not like the rounded bottom of Lodge EC7D43. It reduces some cooking surface area when you brown or sear meat.
Why Buy Lodge EC7D43?
- A hint of black color on the lid gives a designer look to the cookware
- Superior heat distribution ensures the food is well cooked from all sides
- Double layers of porcelain enamel
- The coating is hard, glossy, non-reactive and very easy to clean
- You can either hand wash(recommended) or put the vessel inside the dishwasher
- The tight lid helps in locking moisture inside of the container
- Lodge EC7D43 is among top-rated enameled cast iron dutch ovens on Amazon with over 5500 positive reviews
6) AmazonBasics Cast Iron Enameled Covered Dutch Oven, 6-Quart, Green
Look of the unit is simple and right for the purpose. Plus, the round shape and good depth let you make delicious dutch oven recipes. Thanks to quality cast iron construction that distributes heat evenly in all directions. So if you wish to brown fish or beef then the flat base will brown it evenly from all sides with no hot spots in between. And good heat retention keeps food warm for a long time that helps with multiple servings.
The dutch oven is coated with vitreous enamel rather than porcelain. There is no much difference between both types of coating apart from temperature. While porcelain remains safe up to 450-500 degrees F, vitreous enamel is oven-safe to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Besides, it does not react with food when the temperature is high. You can marinate, cook, cool or store food safely.
The versatility of Amazonbasics 6 quart enameled cast iron dutch oven allows you to use it over various cooking sources. From stovetop to outdoor grill it is suitable for almost all types of cooking surfaces. But make sure not to use a dishwasher to wash the unit as the dutch oven is not dishwasher safe. You need to wash it with hands using mild soapy water.
Why go for Amazonbasics Dutch Oven?
- Inexpensive, sturdy and gets the job done right
- Vitreous enamel is suitable to use on all cooking surfaces as well as non-reactive to food
- The product looks expensive although it has a budget-friendly price tag
- Comes in 3 sizes to stew food for 2 people to a large family with 6 adults
- Secure-fitting lid keeps the moisture inside that makes hard foods tender and flavorful
- Backed by 1-year limited warranty
- Perfect for slow cooking, stewing, broiling, and soups
7) Bruntmor Cast Iron Enameled Dutch Oven Casserole Dish 6.5 quart with Large Loop Handles (Fire Red)
If you need a unit for basic operations then Bruntmor enameled cast iron dutch oven casserole is perfect. It is not costly yet provides sturdy construction. We can say the vessel is more suitable for occasional use rather than using daily. Its cast-iron construction directs heat evenly on all sides and browns meat evenly. And even heat retention improves the texture and flavor of foods.
Making of Bruntmor 6.5 quart cast iron enameled dutch oven involves three main processes. First is making of glaze which is fully compliant with food safety requirements. Second, dutch ovens are polished, producing a flat casting surface and then subsequently blasted. The process of blasting removes impurities and makes the unit more sturdy. And finally, three layers of glaze are sprayed on top and bottom.
These porcelain enamel layers are completely safe for cooking food at high temperatures. They are PFOA, PTFE, and BPA-free. So one sure thing is, no harmful chemicals will get mixed in your food. Furthermore, the dutch oven is designed in the USA keeping needs and cooking sources in mind.
Thanks to self-blasting condensation ridges on the lid that collects and directs vapor back to food inside. As a result, a simple recipe becomes a mouth-watering dish as juices and steam stays and rotates inside the cooking area.
Why should you buy Bruntmor?
- Use of non-toxic materials in its construction
- Designed in the USA according to needs and cooking surfaces
- The process of blasting removes impurities before a thick coat of enamel is applied
- Self-basting condensation ridges on lid prevent vapor to escape from side
- The vibrant color of cookware will enhance your kitchen collection
- The dutch oven measures 10.5 inches long without handle and 5 inches deep
- Both stainless knob and main unit are oven-safe to 500 degrees F
8) Crock Pot Artisan 7 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Round Dutch Oven, Sapphire Blue
Although enamel surfaces are smooth as compared to the plain cast-iron surfaces, they are not nonstick. So you need to take little extra care while cooking on such surfaces. But to your relief, Crock Pot Artisan 7 quart enameled cast iron dutch oven provides a nonstick cooking surface. The benefit of a non-stick dutch oven is you can cook food in less oil. Whereas, a simple enamel coat requires a double amount of oil to cook the same quantity of food.
Oversized handles let user saute ingredients thoroughly by holding on one side. They are also helpful while shifting and serving food on the dinner table. And thanks to quality cast iron built up that keeps food warm for a long while. This superior heat retention of cast iron allows you to perform many cooking techniques. These include sauteing, frying, searing, stewing, broiling, roasting and baking. Therefore, you can make numerous dutch oven recipes with Crock Pot Artisan 69145.02.
While there is a thick enamel nonstick layer inside the pot, the coating of the exterior is thin. And because of this reason, you cannot wash the enameled cast iron dutch oven inside the dishwasher. You will have to hand wash it after every use. Use wooden, silicone, or nylon spatulas to turn, roast or saute ingredients. This will prevent the nonstick coat from scratches.
Why buy Crock Pot Artisan 69145.02?
- Oversized handles provide a comfortable grip while cooking or serving food
- You can saute, fry, sear, stew, grill, boil, and bake using the unit
- Stainless steel knobs are oven safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit
- Works on gas, electric, ceramic, and induction cooktops
- The product is rust-free and easy to clean using lukewarm soapy water
- The self-bating lid creates a continuous basting environment that makes the meat tender and juicy
- Comes in 3 beautiful colors, sapphire blue, sunset orange, and teal ombre
9) Martha Stewart Teal Blue Enameled Cast Iron 6 Qt. Round Dutch Oven Casserole
The lid of an enameled dutch oven is also made of cast iron. And cast iron construction is generally heavier as compared to glass lids. So this increases the risk of the lid falling from your hand while you open or close the dutch oven. And this is dangerous as lid gets hot if you slow cook food for a long time. But thanks handle design lid of Martha Steward 6 qt round dutch oven casserole that lets you lift and close the lid with confident.
Superior cast iron construction of the product makes it worth buying. It measures 13.5 x 10.5 x 6 inches that perfectly fits in medium-size fish, chunks of beef and chicken. You can make delicious dinner or stew to feed 5-6 people. Thus, it is perfect for a family with more than 5 members. Thick cast iron walls make the unit ideal for daily use.
All three loop handles are wide enough to let you work with the vessel comfortably. You can even lift it wearing mitts. Moreover, condensation rings on lid underside condense and redistribute moisture. This way smell of original juices and flavor of food remains intact. And when these juices fall again into the food, it makes the food tender and even more flavorful.
If you love beef pot roast then Martha Steward enameled cast iron dutch oven is for you. It is ideal for slow cooking and making stews. However, the price of the product is not very low but quality craftsmanship makes it worth buying. Also, it is not a dishwasher-safe dutch oven which means you will have to wash it manually after use.
Why should you buy Martha Steward Round Dutch Oven Casserole?
- High-quality ceramic enamel over cast iron last for years
- Wide loop handle on top of the lid lets the user conveniently lift and close it
- Oven safe to 500 degrees Fahrenheit
- Multiple cooktops compatible that include gas, electric, glass, and ceramic
- 16 lbs weight of round casserole tells a lot about the quality of material used in the construction
- Perfect for beef pot roast
- Backed by manufacturers limited lifetime warranty
10) Tramontina 80131/679DS Enameled Cast Iron Covered Round Dutch Oven Combo, 2-Piece (7-Quart & 4-Quart)
The joy of having a stew double when the vegetables are well cooked and tender. And you love to make soups, stews, and chicken frequently then you must invest in a good quality enameled cast iron dutch oven like Tramontina 80131/679DS. Its thick cast iron construction distributes heat evenly in all directions without having hot spots in between. This, in turn, browns the meat evenly from all sides and makes a great tasting dutch oven recipe.
Similar to many of the products on the list, Tramontina cast iron enameled dutch oven also has a porcelain enamel coating. A thick layer of enamel on both the interior and exterior of the oven is the reason behind the long life span of the vessel. While you need to season all cast iron dutch oven from time to time, enamel coating doesn’t require any seasoning ever. Simply wash the unit after every use by hand. Prefer washing by hand as it will protect enamel coating from premature chipping and cracking.
Solid cast stainless steel knob is durable and oven safe to 450 degrees F. However, we find that the heat tolerance capacity of the lid is quite low as compared to other products of the same range. But it is not a big issue as many delicious dutch oven recipes do not need such a high baking temperature. Apart from baking, you can cook food on other sources such as gas stove, electric stove or induction cooktop.
Why buy Tramontina 80131/679DS?
- Thick layers of enamel are durable and do not chip off easily
- Comes in 2 sizes and 5 vibrant colors to match with your existing cookware collection
- Self-basting condensation ridges on the lid ensure juices and flavor of food do not get lost
- The great heat retention of cast iron keeps food warm for a long while
- Safe to use on gas, electric, ceramic, and induction cooktop
- Enamel coating does not require seasoning ever
- Both dutch oven and steel knob of the lid is oven safe up to 450 degrees F
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
Is enameled cast iron dutch oven safe to use?
Unlike pure cast iron cookware, it is safe to cook in an enameled cast iron dutch oven. This is because the use of pure cast iron can raise the iron level in your body dramatically. Also, iron reacts to certain types of food and some foods stick on the base as well. But thanks to enamel coating over the hard material that not only prevents food from sticking but is also non-reactive. This means you can cook all types of food in an enameled cast iron dutch oven without worrying about side effects.
Is enameled cast iron better than cast iron?
There are many reasons to support why enameled cast iron is better than pure cast iron cookware. First of all, the enameled surface is nonstick and non-reactive. So you freely cook any type of food, be it sour, acidic, or even desserts without the taste of metal incorporating in your food. Also, the food will not stick to the bottom.
The durability of enameled cookware is another major reason for its popularity. No doubt, porcelain-enameled cookware is expensive but its excellent performance and durability satisfy the price. It can last for a lifetime with proper care.
High-temperature tolerance of enameled cookware makes it versatile. You can use the cookware over the stovetop, induction top or in the oven and broiler. Also, the cast iron under the enamel coat holds the heat for a long time. You will not have to leave the dining table in between meals just to reheat food. And the same goes for cold foods.
In addition to being highly durable, enamel-coated dutch oven is easy to clean. Do not use abrasive scrubs or pads and your coating will not chip off. Besides, a majority of dutch ovens with porcelain enamel are dishwasher safe which further cuts down cleaning time.
Should I season enameled cast iron?
No seasoning is one of the main benefits of owning an enameled cast iron cookware. Thanks to the durable gloss surface of porcelain enamel that does not require any special care. So in short, there is no need to season enamel with vegetable oil like pure cast iron cookware. But always add little oil before cooking as it will ease cleaning afterward.
How do you cook a steak in a cast iron Dutch oven?
If you love steak then why not try cooking it in your newly bought dutch oven. Yes, you can cook steak in your cast iron dutch oven. Here is a video tutorial that will take from preparation to finally getting served with a perfectly cooked ribeye steak on your plate.
How to clean enameled cast iron dutch oven?
Your beautiful enameled cast iron dutch oven is very easy to clean, thanks to the shiny porcelain layer. Just a little care and your beautiful cookware will last for years without any performance or chipping issues.
Famous brands like Le Creuset and Lodge let you allow wash the enameled cast iron dutch oven in the dishwasher. However, they also recommend hand washing for long-lasting performance with no issues of porcelain cracking or chipping. Besides, it will not take you long to hand wash the cookware due to the glossy nonstick layer.
- Dish soap
- Lukewarm water
- Baking soda
- Non-abrasive sponge
- Soak the cookware in lukewarm water for a few minutes and then add 2 tablespoons of baking soda over the surface.
- Scrub off the baking soda with a non-abrasive sponge. Wash off the baking soda completely and then add a few drops of dishwashing liquid.
- Again scrub the surface gently. This will remove the smell of baking soda as well as scrape off the leftover residue.
- Rinse the dutch oven with water properly and let it air dry on the drying rack or you can use paper towels for instant drying.
Note: A thick paste of baking soda and water can be applied on burnt space and stubborn food particles for effective cleaning.
- Top 10 Milk Steamer and Frother For Home Use
- Top 10 Pendant Lighting for Kitchen Island
- KitchenAid Food Processor Reviews
The versatility of the dutch oven makes it a must-have vessel in your kitchen. You can bake, broil, stew, fry and even grill food using them. The credit behind the popularity of dutch oven goes to the use of cast iron in its construction. Cast iron is responsible for even heat distribution and great heat retention. Whereas, on the other side, it also helps to keep the food cold for a long while. And there are a lot of delicious, easy dutch oven recipes you can try out by using the best-enameled cast iron dutch oven.