Every household needs a good quality trash can to dump the garbage. And garbage bin is one such thing we usually don’t focus on. While waste bins are ideal for garage and bathroom use, a 13 gallon trash can is a good choice for the kitchen. This is because the kitchen is the place where most of the trash generates. From orange peels to cans of milk, there are tons of things that need to be thrown away.
The size and shape of the bin totally depend upon your daily garbage generation. While some kitchens need a small bin other needs large trash can to dump all the garbage properly. The garbage bin size for the kitchen usually ranges from 12-16 gallons. However, a 13 gallon size of trash can ideal for kitchen use as it offers enough space to hold items in a good quantity.
With modernization in every single thing, trash cans also come in various shapes and built-up quality. And with so many options available it becomes hard to find the best trash can for household use. So we’ve studied several products before listing down the top quality 13 gallon trash can. Check them out to see which design and feature make dumping everyday garbage a breeze.
Best 13-Gallon Trash Can For Kitchen
Here are trash can reviews for a 13-gallon or 50 liters unit for your kitchen.
1) iTouchless 13 Gallon Stainless Steel Automatic Trash Can with Odor-Absorbing Filter – Powered by Batteries
Touching dirty bins are a big deal for many people. But thanks to automatic lid opening of iTouchless 13 gallon stainless steel trash can that does not require you to touch any part of the unit. A simple motion of your hands is enough to lift the lid off the can automatically.
Plus, there are visual indicators that make you aware of the status of the lid. A solid green light means the lid will stay open whereas blinking red indicates the lid is about to shut. This ensures the lid does not close on your hands. To make things hygienic, this touchless trash can features reflex technology. This technology automatically reopens the lid if you move your hand back in. Thus, no messy hands are possible with iTouchless 13-gallon trash bin.
Cooking cuisine at home means a lot of ingredients to chop. And we all know the amount of garbage that generates after peeling or chopping vegetables. Also, these kinds of kitchen waste stink a lot and might make it uncomfortable to stand near the unit. But space and odor is not a problem with iTouchless stainless steel automatic trash can. It offers ample space and a wide opening for easy garbage dumping, whereas, carbon filter traps odor.
The touchless operation of trash can supports both battery and AC adapter. You can choose a convenient way according to the kitchen space. If you choose to operate with batteries then not to worry about power loss as iTouchless sensor trash can only draw power as needed. As a result, the batteries last 3 times longer.
- Wide 12-inch opening eases disposal of milk cartons, pizza boxes, etc
- The fingerprint-proof stainless steel trash can exterior will remain shiny new for years
- No expensive custom bags required
- Quality construction and affordable price makes it the best trash can on Amazon with over 10000 ratings
- Rectangular shape fits in tight spaces as well as does not acquire much floor space
- Visual indication of the lid open status
- The smart technology of iTouchless prevents the lid from closing on your hand
- Included carbon filter not only removes odor but also traps harmful VOC compounds
- AC adapter sold separately
2) simplehuman 50 Liter / 13 Gallon Semi-Round Kitchen Step Trash Can with Secure Slide Lock
If you have a curious pet in your home that often tries to find out what’s inside the bin then you will love Simplehuman trash can. It features a lock on the lid that prevents easy opening. Simply push the silver-colored lid inside and it won’t open until you unlock it again. Therefore, now you no longer need to keep an eye on your dog, cat or kid that tries to open the lid.
You must have seen many cheap trash cans close with a ‘bam’. This is not only annoying but also damages the lid. But thanks to lid shox technology of Simplehuman step on trash can that makes no banging noise when you release the pedal. In fact, its specially designed dampers provide enough resistance that shuts the lid down gently. But not to worry as you’ll not feel any resistant while opening the 13-gallon garbage bin.
Unlike stainless steel, this unit is made of plastic. The durable plastic is grey coated to match with your kitchen interior perfectly. Besides, it is fingerprint-proof, easy to clean and light in weight. And a soft-plastic coated wall bumper prevents the can from bumping against furniture or wall.
While the body of the trash bin is made of plastic, the step on pedal is of steel. This sturdy stainless steel pedal is engineered to last 150,000 steps. Plus, it is wide enough to let you open the lid in one go. Thus, you’ll never have to get your hands dirty as long as Simplehuman plastic trash can in your kitchen.
- It features a silent close that does not make a loud ‘bam’ sound on closure
- Slide lock help keep the lid from being accidentally opened by kids or pets
- The durable plastic trash bin comes in 4 beautiful finishes
- Strong steel pedal does not loose or break down after a few uses
- Lightweight design eases shifting and cleaning
- Budget-friendly price tag
- It is one of the top-rated 50-liter trash cans on Amazon with over 3500 positive reviews
- Uses P-type custom fit liners
- No liner pocket
3) BestOffice Kitchen Trash Can – Best Automatic Touch Free High-Capacity Garbage Can, 13 Gallon / 50L
One main problem with Automatic or touch-free trash cans is, they take a little while to open. And in this busy world, no one has time to wait even for a little while. And if you’re facing the same problem with your old unit then its time to replace it with Bestoffice touchless trash bin. Its motion sensor technology opens the lid in 0.3 seconds without any delay once objects are detected within the sensor zone.
And not to worry as the lid will not close on your hand. It remains open for 5 seconds so you can dump the garbage conveniently. There’s an on/off button that lets you keep the lid open or close as per your requirement. You can turn the sensor off if your dog keeps playing around the can. Besides, you can either open the trash can lid with the touch of a button or by waving your hand.
Apart from quick lid open technology, what we like the most about the unit is its design. This modern trash can with 13 gallons of capacity features an oval body and sloping lid. Such a design blends well with contemporary and modern kitchen interior. Therefore, the unit is both practical and visually appealing.
The beautiful stainless steel exterior of the products is fingerprint-resistant. Therefore, which eases cleaning and lowers maintenance. Whereas, the sealed exterior prevents flies and bugs from getting inside the unit. And let us not forget about its Infrared technology that contains odor and keeps the surrounding area smell clean.
- Lid takes the least time(0.3 seconds) to open
- Sleek and modern design that looks beautiful if kept on the floor
- Compatible with any standard 13-gallon trash bag available online or in the supermarket
- Infrared technology prevents odor from spreading into your kitchen
- Comes in three beautiful finish; black, red, and stainless steel
- You can either open the can with a hand wave or press the manual button open
- Not very costly as compared to the features it offers
- You need to buy batteries separately(D-type)
4) iTouchless SoftStep 13.2 Gallon Stainless Steel Step Trash Can with Odor Control System
Waste management is now a breeze with iTouchless Softstep step on stainless steel trash can. From lid to foot pedal, everything is of steel which is fingerprint-proof. Therefore, such an exterior blends well with various kitchen decor, especially the modern one. Also, the steel remains durable for years to come as well as shows fewer scratch marks as compared to plastic.
The odor from garbage is very obvious. And no one likes to work or sit near a smelly dustbin. But the bad smell is not an issue with iTouchless metal trash can due to its odor control system. There’s a room for filter on the inside top of the lid where carbon filter goes. This filter absorbs the rotting smell of food and other such items. As a result, it leaves the area smelling clean and hygienic.
The best part about this iTouchless pedal garbage bin is its removable inner bucket. This bucket contains an in-built hole that helps hold the garbage bag securely. Besides, you can completely remove the inner plastic bucket to clean it in your backyard. This plastic container prevents water and other small chunks from falling to stainless steel bottom. Thus, reduces your cleaning effort.
Trash can with foot pedal is known to slip on a smooth surface. And the kitchen is a place where you have smooth and shiny tiles or floor. But thanks to thick rubber pads of the metal bin that prevents it from slipping no matter how many times you step on the pedal.
- The removable plastic bucket features tuck and hold bag retention that prevents garbage bag from sinking in
- No expensive custom bags required
- Includes a carbon filter that lasts up to 3 months
- Large and sturdy steel pedal is engineered to last over 200000 steps
- Gently pull the lid back to keep it open
- Thick rubber pads on the bottom keep garbage can from slipping
- The same design comes in 3 beautiful colors; rose gold, stainless white, and silver
- Replaceable air damper
- Little Costly
- It is not a dog-proof bin
5) Rubbermaid Step-On Lid Trash Can for Home, Kitchen, and Bathroom Garbage, 13 Gallon, Black
A unit needs to be both functional and beautiful if planning to keep on the kitchen floor. But you might not feel like investing in a beautiful exterior unit if it is not going to on the way. So on the list comes Rubbermaid hideaway trash can with 13 gallon capacity that is perfect for areas that do not need a high-end model. But that does not mean the unit is ugly or not suitable for floor use. You can definitely use it in your kitchen or bathroom wherever needed.
Its smooth plastic body and rounded counters are safe to use with pets around. In fact, they are easy to clean and maintain. While the entire body is made of durable plastic, the foot paddle is made of steel. And this sturdy steel paddle ensures a hands-free lid opening of the trash can for years to come.
Trash bags of step on plastic garbage bins often slip and loosen. And trust us, no one even likes to touch the bag full of trash just to rearrange it. And not to worry as you’ll not have to touch the bag until and unless you’re throwing it away with this Rubbermaid trash can. Credit goes to its Linerlock retainer arms that secure garbage bag to the rim and prevent it from slipping.
- The wide opening ensures waste like pizza boxes, milk containers get in smoothly
- Inexpensive product
- A strong liner lock secures the trash bag to the rim and prevents it from slipping into the can
- Durable food pedal is designed to last long
- Plastic body with rounded countors eases cleaning
- Made in the USA according to the US standards
- Ideal for use in kitchen, bathroom or garage
- The lightweight of the product with no rubber feet might make it slip on a smooth floor
- No lock on the lid
6) iTouchless 13 Gallon Touchless Sensor Trash Can with Odor Filter System – Excellent Round White Steel Garbage Bin
Space is the biggest concern of many households as there are tons of units to store. And if you’re facing floor space issue then this iTouchless sensor trash can is for you. Its sleek cylindrical shape occupies less floor space and at the same time offers an impressive 13 gallon capacity. It measures 12.6 inches in diameter and 31.3 inches high. And with a wide 10.3-inch opening, you can easily dispose of a variety of wide trash like pizza boxes, milk cartons, etc.
While the space-saving design is perfect for small floor space, its elegant white finish goes well with modern kitchens. Also, the white steel trash can is fingerprint-proof, smudge-resistant, and easy to clean. Simply wipe the exterior with a clean damp cloth and it will shine like you bought the unit yesterday.
No need to press the pedal or open the lid with hands as it is a 100% touch-free unit. The smart sensor detects motion your hand and opens the lid instantly. You can then dispose of all the items properly as the lid will not close on your hand. Thanks to its unique Reflx technology that automatically reopens the lid if it senses the motion of your hand.
On the other hand, a solid green light means the lid is in stay-open mode. And blinking red means the lid is about to close. Thus, trash disposal with iTouchless stainless steel garbage bin is clean and hygienic. Besides all these, you also can make sure that the bag will not slip inside because of its retainer ring.
- Stylish matte white finish complements modern and contemporary kitchen styles
- Retainer ring hold the garbage bag securely in place
- 100% touch-free operation
- Supports use of both batteries and Ac adapter
- Backed by a year manufacturer’s warranty
- The absorbX technology traps in odor and VOC compounds
- Odor filters are easy to replace
- You need to find long garbage bags that fit perfectly and does not pull the edge down
7) hOmeLabs 13 Gallon Automatic Trash Can for Kitchen
Round or semi-round lids that open upside often collide with the wall behind. And if you do not like the sound of the collision every time you open the unit then
Square lid or the buttery lid trash can also provide a greater clearance under low countertops. But do not let greater clearance confuse you with its capacity as it offers a good 13 gallon garbage capacity. Plus, the wide opening ensures you dump all kitchen scraps easily directly from the cutting board.
Many cheap automatic trash cans require you to wave a hand very close to the lid to open it. But thanks to infrared technology of homelabs stainless steel garbage bin that opens the lid when motion is detected within 6 inches. Therefore, you no longer need to wait for a second to or take your clean hands near an icky bin.
Normally, the motion sensors are on the top side of the unit. But here, in this case, you can adjust the sensor up or down for convenient waste disposal. The adjustable 90-degree swiveling sensor ball can be adjusted for top or side activation. Or you can always use manual buttons to open and close the lid.
- Smooth stainless steel construction that fits well in tight spaces
- The split doors open quickly as soon as it detects motion within 6 inches
- You can adjust the sensor to top or side as per your convenience
- This advanced home trash bin is designed with a battery holder, power jack, and a switch
- The smart ring bag keeps the garbage bag hidden for a clean and hygienic view
- Features a power-saving option that saves battery when the unit is not in use
- Best trash can for kitchen with the dual operation(automatic and manual)
- Smooth interior lets you wipe clean the interior easily
8) Tramontina 13 Gallon Step Trash Can Stainless Steel Includes 2 Freshener Cartridges
A beautiful kitchen needs beautiful dustbin. And if an automatic operation is not really your thing then Tramintina 13 gallon step trash can is a great choice. Its durable stainless steel body with satin finish complements a variety of kitchen decors. And along with that, it features an easy-open step pedal made of stainless steel that is both practical and attractive.
Unlike cheap products, the lid of this metal trash can will not close with a ‘bam’. Instead, it will close slowly and softly without making any loud or annoying noise. On the inside of the steel lid is a freshener system that helps minimize odor. It is extremely easy to insert and replace cartridges. They leave a fresh and hygienic smell behind which makes cooking in the kitchen more comfortable.
- Heavy-duty hinge construction that ensures smooth and long-lasting performance
- Rectangular trash bin that blends well with modern decors
- Fingerprint-proof and stain-resistant steel body
- Offers a dense polypropylene lift-out plastic basket that with vented base
- The base of the unit is of plastic that prevents kitchen tile or wooden flooring from ugly scratch marks
- A dedicated space on the inside of the metal lid to insert fresheners
- Trim ring hides bag overhang
- The bulky design will need more floor space
- It needs 2 inches of clearance for the lid to open properly
9) Rubbermaid Touch Top Lid Trash Can for Kitchen and Bathroom Garbage, 13 Gallon, White
A tight budget does not mean you cannot get a good quality garbage bin. And if you’re looking for a basic model with good quality construction then Rubbermaid top lid trash can serves the purpose. This inexpensive unit offers all basic features with a huge 13-gallon capacity. And with a wide opening, you can easily dump things like pizza boxes, sticks, milk jugs, etc.
You can easily keep the bag hidden with this Rubbermaid garbage bin. It features Linerlock bag wires that secure the trash bag to rim of the can. This allows for easy garbage disposal as well as prevents the bag from slipping into the can. Besides, the removal of the bag is as easy as setting it. Simply, take it off from one side and it will easily come off.
Unlike step on or touchless, this is a manual plastic trash can. Therefore, you will have to push the paddle on the front of the lid gently in order to open it. The lid will remain open unless you push it down and lock. These types of units make the best recycle bin as you do not have to deal with pesky insects and odor that come off from kitchen waste.
- Inexpensive product
- Ideal trash can for bathroom or recycling use
- Lightweight design; easy to clean and shift
- Completely dog-proof
- Durable plastic resin construction that can last long with little maintenance
- Available in black, grey, and white color to mix with your decor perfectly
- None at this price
10) Secura 13 Gallon Automatic Trash Can – Perfect Stainless Steel Adjustable Sensor with Motion-Sensing Lid
Upgrade your garbage disposal with Secura stainless steel automatic trash can. Its dual-direction sensor ball lets you adjust the sensor according to your convenience. You can either set the rotating sensor ball upwards or on the front, whichever way comforts you the most. And then simply place your hand or garbage within sensor range to open the lid automatically. Thus, easy and hygienic waste disposal is possible with Secura.
Many people fear of the lid closing down on their hand. So Secura touchless trash can features 6-indicator led lights that inform you when the lid will close. These red lights turn off counter-clockwise which provides you about 6 seconds to dispose of waste before lid closes. Or else, you can press the ‘close’ button to shut the lid immediately.
We are very well aware of the rotting and unpleasant smell that comes off vegetables and fruit scraps. If you’re looking for a unit to use in the kitchen then one important feature to check is odor management system. And Secura stainless steel 13 gallon trash can comprises of an odor filter compartment. This easy to replace filter chamber provides up to 3 months of odor elimination.
- Roll the sensor ball to the upward or front-facing direction as per your convenience
- 6 red led lights turn off one-by-one to let you know when the lid is about to close
- You can operate the unit either manually or automatically
- Extra-wide 12.6-inch opening eases disposal or big bulky items
- Smart retainer ring hides trash bag as well as holds it in place
- Includes 1 activated carbon filter helps with the bad smell of garbage for up to 3 months
- Smooth and quiet operation
- Fragile bag liner
Types of Trash Can Used in a Kitchen
Thanks to different garbage models available today that lets you select a perfect model for your kitchen. But out of them all, which one is best for you? Check out the basic differences between types of trash cans so you can easily decide the perfect one to dump your garbage.
- Step Can:
These are the most common type of trash can which are popular for ages now. A simple foot pedal design on the base changed the way of dumping the garbage. They are a popular choice of homeowners as foot pedal opens the trash can doors when both of your hands are soaked in wet waste. You can easily dump all the waste from cutting board into the can without actually touching the waste bin. Step cans are easy to use and affordable but can be havoc if you have a curious pet.
- Pull-Out/In-Cabinet trash can
If you do not like to display waste bin in the kitchen then go for pull-out trash cans. This is another popular waste disposal option for people with kids or pets. In-cabinet waste bins hide beautifully and are easy to access. Many people usually use their in-cabinet units to pop the recyclable waste as they do not smell bad when you open the kitchen cabinet. They take some installation time but you will not need an expert to fix them.
- Trash cans with swing-top, butterfly, or fold-in lids
I will use the word fancy for swing-top or butterfly trash cans. No doubt they look beautiful and operate wonderfully but the lids don’t seal as tightly as other models. And lose lids spread the garbage odor. Also, they require a constant power supply for lids to open. In case of power failure, you will not be able to open lids or will have to manually open them. Besides, the lids tend to get dirty while you drop in wet waste as they fold inside the bin. And trust me, you would not like to clean the garbage lid every time you dump waste. Plus, they are expensive than most of the models in the market.
- Touch-top trash cans
Touch-top garbage bins are better than butterfly fold-in lids but not the best. Here, you need to touch the lid of the can and it will open automatically. So you need to keep one hand free to touch the top. And this is quite uncomfortable for some people to touch the bin. Also, you might not like to touch the top with dirty hands and clean the lid every time after use. Plus, they also open easily if your pet or child touches the lid top.
- Automatic trash cans
The automatic trash cans are high-end models. They work on gestures instead of a foot or touch. This means you need to simply wave your hand or command top open or close through voice. They are expensive due to Wifi operation and voice control system. Also, I personally don’t find them reliable as many times the lid did not open on voice command. And these types of complaints are common with owners of automatic garbage bins. Even touch-top cans are responsive than automatic ones at times.
How do I get rid of the smell in my trash can?
One thing for sure is your trash can will smell if there’s garbage in it. While dry waste is less smelly, you can sense wet waste from miles if the lid of the bin is not closed properly. So you might want to consider a tight lid while shopping for trash bins. A tight lid will help to contain the smell in the bin but how to stop the odor from spreading while you open the trash bin? Have a look below to get rid of garbage odor.
- Don’t throw away lemon or orange peels after extracting the juice. Instead, you can place them in all the corners of trash bin. The fresh smell of peels will help with the odor of wet garbage. You can also lay some mint leaves if orange or lemon peels aren’t available.
- Baking soda is a magical kitchen ingredient that is helpful in various ways. Here also, baking soda effectively removes the odor from a trash can. You just need to sprinkle a generous amount of soda on bin bottom before attaching the garbage bag. It absorbs the smell of waste.
- You can also use some essential oil drops in the waste can. 2-3 drops of concentrated lavender or tea tree oil beautifully remove the wet waste odor coming off your in-cabinet trash can. Or you can also soak small cotton balls in vanilla extract and pop them in the bin bottom.
- If the stinky odor is not leaving your trash bin even after throwing the garbage then its time to get some charcoal. Pulverize charcoal and lay it generously in the bottom. Let the charcoal particles sit in the bin for at least 6-7 hours. It is better if you let them stay overnight.
How many liters is a 13-gallon trash can?
Getting any size trash can will not work. I’ve seen people regret their purchase as the size of the can was not sufficient enough to hold their daily waste. Also, these things are generally non-returnable. So it is better to invest some time studying what size do you need exactly. In my opinion, always buy a size large that can hold trash of at least 2-3 days. This is because you will need to empty the contents out of a small bin frequently. And some days we’re really not in the mood to take the trash out.
So how about a 13-gallon trash can? Well, 13 gallons is equivalent to 50 liters. So definitely, the bin size is large. Such large cans are ideal to keep in kitchen where most of the household waste is generated. They are big enough to hold both dry and wet waste. Also, you will not feel the need to empty the garbage bag frequently as 50 liters take way more time to fill fully even if you are a family of 6 who cooks daily at home.
Apart from kitchen waste, 13-gallon trash can size is ideal for popping recyclable things. I personally use a large trash can(i don’t remember the size exactly now) to throw away milk cartons, cardboard packings, aluminum cans, ice cream tubs, take-out pizza boxes, office papers, and other plastic stuff. The great thing about dumping recyclable waste in a large trash can is you do not have to cut or compress the waste. You can easily throw in a large pizza box without the need to trim it first.
More and more people are now taking waste disposal seriously. And there could several reasons behind it. So make your disposal more interesting by buying the best trash can.
A good quality bin construction with additional features not only compliments your home decor but also help to dispose of garbage hygienically.
And large 13-gallon trash can minimize the need to empty the garbage frequently. You can choose the best model from either touchless or manual according to your comfort.